Saturday, August 27, 2005

Bang in the Night! (by Todd)

Last night, a little after midnight, I woke to the sound of gunshots.

At least that´s what I thought for the first two seconds I woke up. As it turns out, it was Padre Daniel´s birthday, so at midnight, a bunch of the teenagers showed up at his door to sing. And they brought with them these ridiculously noisy fireworks, that I swear sounded like guns going off. But as soon as I woke up, I heard them singing and figured out what was going on.

I got another fright though when I opened my eyes. There were all these black silhouttes jumping at the window, and loud bangs and flashes of light from the fireworks, and even though I knew what was up, I got so scared. For a moment, I think I knew what it must be like to wake up to an angry mob at your door. Yikes!


While we´re on the subject of things that have given me a fright - Honduran drivers pass each other like madmen! Is there a blind curve coming up? A hill? Another car? And is that a big 18-wheeler truck we´re passing? No problem! We´ll pass anyway!!!

Of course, it´s not quite like in the US. They´re all driving much slower here. And people help you pass them - being passed doesn´t seem to constitute a threat to masculinity the way it does in the US. It´s probably more necessary when you have speedy cars, big trucks, and the occasional ox-driven wagon all on the same two-lane road. Lastly, the Hondurans are happy to make a third lane in the middle of the road if necessity dictates.

But nonetheless, it is scary when you pull out into the other lane to pass, and cut right in front of that truck back into your lane just moments before an oncoming car whizzes by. At least, it was the first few times :)


In other news, we have continued getting to know the people of the Talanga community and the Casa Pasionista. Here´s a funny story: the ladies at the Casa have taken to imitating Lauren, Laura, and Kathy, who do this little dance whenever they leave. I think it´s cute.

Alright, until next time. Hopefully I can get some pictures up soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home