Monday, September 05, 2005

Open the floodgates... (by Laura)

Oh, wait, they already were.

The good news: we have (or at least had for a few hours) running water and some water in the reserve tank.

The bad news: our house flooded this morning.

The girls and I woke up in the rectory with the intention of eating watermelon for breakfast, climbing the cerrito and taking a nice shower, which I hadn't done for real in almost 3 days. If a cold shower can be considered "real." Instead Lucian was chatting with us over the watermelon when he got a call from Todd...

Todd woke up to the reserve tank filling in the middle of the night and everything was cool, but at 8 this morning we woke up to a puddle. Fortunately the boys we able to move our dressers in the living room and dammed off that room and the kitchen in order to keep the water mostly flowing out the front door. The culprit was our toilet, which had a disconnected hose. I'm sure most the reserve tank water wound up in our house. It wasn't the first flood since we've been here and I'm sure it won't be the last. We cleaned up and made ourselves a brunch, after which I finally got my cold shower. It was the best one I've had so far.

In other news...I often feel like an animal in the zoo due to the fact that many rural people have not seen white people before, at least not too many. We went to visit Olma's (our neighbor) classroom last week and when we walked by one house a little girl asked her mom who we were. The mom replied, in wonder, "Se llaman GRINGOS." Later that day we sat down by a group of schoolgirls and one sat down next to me and started showing me all of her homework. Her friends followed suit and I was surrounded by a crowd of staring girls. Slightly disconcerting, what do you say/do when surrounded by staring eyes?

Like Kathy, I too have found a Honduran boyfriend, but he is 2 years old. His name is Daniel and he is the son the people who run the internet cafe we frequent. He is probably the cutest 2-year-old I have ever seen. I have a year to devise a plan of how to kidnap him. Ok, maybe not a boyfriend but still, I love that baby, we're buddies when I come to the cafe, right now he's sitting next to me eating an apple.

Well, until the next time...hopefully the water will be running then and not flooding.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, I never thought I would hear you talking about dating little boys and kidnapping them...hahaha. I enjoy hearing how your time in Honduras is going though!!!

Monday, September 05, 2005 5:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home